Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Self Made

Self Portrait January 2011

I watched "The Royal Tenenbaums" the other night and was inspired by the poor quality paintings by one of the characters. Richie Tenenbaum. They were all of his sister Margot and it was clearly stated that while the family had a lot of hope for his ability he had really not measured up as a painter. I have allowed myself to be stymied by my lack of expertise in many areas and I have spent more time than I would like to admit dreamily sitting on my couch thinking of making things only to fall asleep and accomplish nothing. I admire small paintings and so I made one of myself yesterday while I waited for the pot-roast leftovers to reheat. One of the things the Artists Way drums into your head is the idea that the process is what is important and that while a pleasing final product is just that it should not be the only goal. Making a small painting and putting it on your blog is sort of like taking your clothes off in a room with 6 people in it. The gossip might spread, she took her clothes off right there in front of us! Hopefully one of those people will think, I want to expose myself too and she did it and was not struck dead. Nothing is perfect but making things makes me feel happy and alive, so expect more of these misshapen, poorly shaded studies.

It's a great movie by the way if you haven't seen it. Any film that shows cross sections of brownstones with people busy in each window and miniature stage sets gets all my thumbs up.

3 comments:

stacee said...

The Royal Tenenbaums is one of my all-time forever and ever favorite movies. Love it so much. We watch it at least once a year, usually around the holidays. Santa even put the soundtrack in my husband's stocking this year (finally!).

I love this little painting of yours Rowan, and the story behind doing it, as well. Just this morning I was looking at some prints of paintings of Richie and Margot on Etsy. I had to resist ordering them. Maybe I should just paint my own (though I've never painted a thing in my life)?

Rowan said...

I love Wes Anderson in general. I say make a painting, I started with a photo. two brushes, a kids watercolor set and a water color paper block. Make a light pencil drawing first and then fill it all in. Bon apetart!

stacee said...

Consider me inspired, thanks to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It