Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Home

Araya, Becky and Pearl

Just back from our trip to Eugene to visit Pearl's new baby birth-sister. It was good to see Becky in her now role as active momma. She is a bit nervous but totally doting and attentive to her little bundle. The baby is sweet and content to sleep under many watchful eyes. On Sunday after a busy family dinner Mark sat for about an hour just stroking the little angel and she seemed to enjoy the constant attention, cooing in her sleep and making little faces. It was a quick trip, a whirlwind really and we were back on the road in 24 hrs heading north again, hurtling home. Somewhere south of Seattle Pearl had a little meltdown as she often does after these visits. How strange it must be to visit this perfectly good home and family who clearly cherishes you only to leave them over and over again. I can't fix how she feels I just have to let her know that the sadness she feels in the transition between homes is natural and nothing to be ashamed of. I try not to over talk the experience, I don't want to minimize or maximize her experience. I do want to know the specifics of it, but for that I will have to wait until she is a bit older and has more perspective on her reality. When we got back home Pearl seemed more herself and while we waited for Mark to set up the TV to watch the video of the experience we had just had Pearl played in her room. I went in at one point and she was playing with her Polly Pockets dolls, she said Jasmine, (a mini Bratz doll) is trying to move in with the Polly Pockets and they are not being very nice to her. I kept moving and when it was time to watch the video she came out and said that everyone was all moved in and they were all getting along just fine. We snuggled on the couch to watch the video, me on her right, Mark on her left and when it was time for bed she said how good it felt to be back home in her own bed.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I just read your blog about your visit with Becky and found it quite moving. I hope you know how much I admire you and the way you are raising Pearl. I also hope my relationship with Henry is as healthy as yours with Pearly. Obviously I have a special place in my heart for the adoption experience and want you to know that I think you are doing an amazing job and are an outstanding parent...and friend. xo

Heather McKendry said...

Rowan - I am sitting at Seatac with tears in my eyes. The compassionate space you provide for Pearl to 'just be' is very inspiring. I'm very thankful to know you...and so proud of who you are as a Mom.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It