Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Safe Passage 02

Do you remember the day that you died?

I do. It was late winter and we drove from your place on Quadra Island to Nainamo where we boarded the ferry for Tsawassen. I crawled into bed with you that morning seeing you were suddenly much weaker and more distant. I laid behind you and hugged your whole body with mine. I said, I don't want you to die. It was the only time during those last six weeks that I acknowledged you were slipping away. You said you weren't dying and I helped you get up and go to the bathroom. I gave you yogurt for breakfast, you ate it on the couch and spilled a bit on your cotton turtleneck. I can't remember what happened to that shirt, it went away with you and the yogurt stain never to be seen again.

Safe Passage 01

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a powerful story. Are you going to share all of it? I think of that experience that you had often, and I find myself wondering if I would be as full of grace. Equal parts wanting to be there for my loved ones when they pass, and not sure I could do it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It