Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

What I'm reading


In keeping with my goal of reading a few books by one author to get a handle on what they are up to I am reading this collection of short pieces from my new hero Haruki Murakami. The stories are varied but all have that blurry edge of magical realism, which I relish. Some of them go nowhere which is interesting as I try to write things and have no idea how to end a story. What is a logical conclusion to something you have wholly made up, the possibilities are endless. I suppose the stories end like thoughts do, they simply cease and you might look back in the future and wonder where did those thoughts go, those thoughts I was so passionate about. Interesting. Summer is a good time for short pieces to be read in bed and on the ferry, in border line-ups and in empty living rooms in relatives houses and at beaches, if you do that sort of thing.

3 comments:

Dreaming said...

You are right about short pieces being great summer reading. I am stuck on (in?) a book that is seeming to get longer by the minute. If it were paper, I'd be tempted to use it as campfire starter!

Dreaming said...

Oops... meant to add that the title of the book you are reading is intriguing!

Cupcake Murphy said...

On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning is my favorite short story. I love him.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It